Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Everglades


What an incredible ecosystem. Spanish moss hangs from the cypress trees next to marshes full of saw grass. The air boat we rode gracefully skimmed the three feet of water, careful to avoid birds and alligators. The birds posed for us. Cranes, egrets, blue heron, and ravens flew all around us.

We rode motorcycles along Highway 41 skirting the marshes. Occasionally a blue heron would fly beside me, curious of my path. We rode through the Miccosukee Indian reservation and stopped to eat at their restaurant. That is where we found the air boat. Cotton in our ears and the breeze in our face, we experienced why God made these marshes. It is beautiful.

Our RV campground surrounds monument lake. A small lake, but full of alligators, we watch our dogs carefully, even though I haven't seen one yet here. We lounge in our chairs as the sun sets over the lake. Another incredible sight.

Tomorrow we leave for Marathon Key. We will be there a month so we can truly experience the keys. Highs are in the mid seventy's and lows are in the mid fifty's. Weather to die for. This blog is great. I feel like I'm sharing every moment with you.






4 comments:

ginger said...

The photos are incredible!!! The alligators.......eeeeeeeee!!!
The weather sounds wonderful!! So do you!!! :-)

linda jones said...

I love the picture of the alligator and the crane! And you're right, it is oh so cool to ride along with you on this trip...more more more!

Ellen Rust said...

Wow, Diana, I'm loving seeing what you're seeing and hearing about what you're doing! It's like lindadarlene says, like riding along with you on this trip. Keep it coming!

Cassie said...

Your a brave person taking pictures of those alligators so close! Beautiful pictures too! Don't have too much fun without me, I want to be on the beach too!! My calendar at work with beach scenes just isn't cutting it, so have enough fun for the both of us!! I love you!