Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Talladega






I've always wanted to go to a Nascar race but I had no idea it would be so much fun. Our reservations were messed up and they put us in a "gated community" infield. Only people staying in that area were allowed in so the crazies stayed away. We were the second row from the track between turns three and four. We could actually sit in the motorhome with the tv on the race and see the cars go by in the background, which we did when it got real hot. The cars practicing on the track would wake us up in the morning, but they did let us sleep until about 8:30. We got there Thursday night and after dealing with our reservations being messed up we got in line in the "staging area". We were put in the line that went in first so we didn't have to wait as long. We drove across the track to get infield, that was cool. Whenever it got hot we could relax in the RV, we didn't have to deal with concession stands, or sitting in the sun in seats in the stadium all day. I'm so spoiled now. I don't want to go back unless we can stay infield again, and only in that section.

It was great being there with Steve, he knows so much about Nascar. And my dear friend, Dawn, went with us. We haven't been able to hang out that much in years. And I didn't take her along to just cook, although she is a great cook.

The day of the big race we sat on the roof of the motorhome. It's like it's own party up there. The race was incredible, some said its the best race in years. The ninth lap there was a seven car wreck right in front of us. My heart jumped. It's a lot different seeing it in person. Everyone was ok, but the wreck on the last lap was close to the grandstands and seven spectators got hurt. You just never know. That's why I liked being on the second row. At least there is some protection from the wrecks.
I've been so fortunate to be able to see all of these amazing things. I savor every moment of them. Especially when I get to see them with people I love.

No comments: