Friday, August 1, 2008

Birthdays at Dale Hollow Lake

I spent my birthday reading a book, then off to a sunset cruise on Cleo. I think I'll collect sunsets.

Steve spent his birthday working on the boat. He found a hole coroded in the pontoon. He was moving the boat so he could work on it and a trailer tire blew out. It sounded like a gunshot. There is a ghost story here about three confederate soldiers who were deserters and their friends chased them down and shot them right in this campground. People have heard shots ring out in the campground. So, the whole campground went wild trying to find the ghosts. All I found was Steve kicking the trailer of the boat, and he wasn't white, he was red.

After he fixed the tire, and we ate dinner. We were invited by some neighbors for a sunset cruise in their 22 ft. searay. We zipped across the lake to Kentucky in about 15 minutes. It would have taken us three hours in Cleo. It was very, very fast. But steady. I was never frighted. I just can't believe they ski behind it.

Yesterday I met a fellow writer who has written history books about the area. He is called the gravedigger and does ghost walks in the campground. He gave me some books, one of which is his ghost stories for Dale Hollow Lake. Right below us is the old town of Willow Grove. It was flooded when the corp made the dam. The Corp says they moved all of the graves, but there is no record of some of the people being moved. the swimming area below the campground used to be the backyard of the Christ Church for Willow Grove, and it's cemetary. Kind of creepy swimming there now.

So, today I'm off to cruise on the lake, and maybe, do a little swimming. (oooohhhh).

1 comment:

ginger said...

What a wonderful way to spend your birthday!!! I love the idea of collecting sunsets..........
Continue to enjoy, and then enjoy some more!!!